So Thursday 23 June, 2016 will certainly be remembered for at least one thing – the day the UK voted to leave the EU.
Now, since then I have had many calls from businesses of all sizes, who have been tying themselves in knots over what happens next, and convincing themselves they have to rush into ‘doing something’ because of the Referendum outcome.
Well, first of all, let’s look at the facts of what has happened since the result was announced:
- the sun is still coming up in the mornings, the world is still turning, the grass is still green, and Wimbledon is still being held in the wettest two weeks of the British summer – no change there whatsoever!
- yes, the stock and currency markets have been up and down like the proverbial yo-yo, but there are already signs they are stabilising, even rising, so things are nowhere near as bad here as was widely predicted – remember the markets have a tendency to seek an opportunity for profit ahead of reflecting economic reality
- interest rates have not changed, neither have tax rates, nor have most of the other key fiscal influences of our economy
So, broadly speaking, things are just the same now as they were a month, or six months, or even a year ago.
As for the next few months, here’s a simple plan of action:
- DO NOT PANIC! This will only introduce significant risks where previously there were none
- contact your business advisers, coaches and mentors (you do have a business coach or mentor, don’t you?), and begin assessing the ‘big picture’, how it specifically affects you and your business (if at all), and begin planning for the next steps
- reassure your team, your suppliers and your customers that it really is ‘business as usual’ until we have the actual hard facts to prove otherwise
There you go – simple!
Keep calm and carry on, as the infamous poster says.
Still not sure what to do next?
Then please feel free to give me a call on 01242-672440, click here to email me.
© Adrian Malpass 2016. All rights reserved.